Our foray list for 2021 is all a bit uncertain due to the COVID-19 situation and forays are being organised at short notice. Check for updates at our Facebook Events page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthernIrelandFungusGroup
A days foraying begins, for those wanting a full day, at 11am at the designated meeting point. Returning to the carpark for lunch between 12.30 & 1pm. Then foraying again from 1 – 4pm. You are welcome to join at either of these starting times.
1. We recommend highly that you WEAR SUITABLE OUTDOOR CLOTHING – that is sensible footwear (high heels or sandals are not recommended). Trainers, wellies or waterproof walking boots are a must for some sites. Please bring a raincoat and/or waterproof bottoms. It can suddenly start raining and you’ll regret not having some form of waterproofs with you. If you don’t need them at least you’ve come prepared.
2. Some sites may be hilly! Please do check the sites before you plan to come along. We have tried to give you as much detail regarding the site i.e. grid ref and O.S. map numbers so you can find them and check the terrain on your maps. If you need more advice please contact us. It can be off putting if you arrive to find a mountain site and you are unable to cope physically with it.
3. If you are planning on spending the whole day with the group do bring a packed lunch as some venues are ‘out of the way’ and may not have shops nearby.
4. If you are wanting to collect a few specimens to take home and identify yourself bring a collection container of basket (mushroom boxes from your local green grocers are good! And you are recycling which is good for the environment too!!! ) Craft tubs or small plastic tool boxes from your local hardware shop are good as they have handles as well and are relatively cheap.
5. A small guide book is also recommended. These can be obtained from most bookstores. The Collins Field Guides are very good but will only have the very commonly found species in them. They are good for beginners and helps you establish which ones you may come across on a regular basis. Once you feel more confident you can invest in more advanced books.
Apart from those main points the day is pretty relaxed. Join in, make friends and have fun and learn a bit about our environment and habitats while you are there.