6. Buds protected by a single leaf scale Willows (Salix spp.)
6. More than one leaf scale. Go to 7.
7. Buds not on stalks. Go to 9.
8. Shoot hairy, often grey in colour. Grey Alder (Alnus incana)
8. Shoot smooth, purple. Common Alder (Alnus glutinosa)
8. Shoot smooth, purple but speckled. Cones often large. Italian Alder (Alnus cordata)
Home - Our Group - Forays - BMS Foray 2000 - Mycology in NI - Atlas of NI Fungi - Interesting Finds - Edible Fungi - Database Stats - Fungal Focus - Fungal News - Fascinating Facts - Ectomycorrhiza - Waxcaps - Herbarium - Photo Gallery - Recording Tips - Recording Form - Links - Joining Us - Dublin Group - Tree ID - Winter Tree ID - Downloads - Search the site